Concrete Driveway Contractor Richmond
LHC Services – Driveways
Why Hire LHC Services as Your Concrete Contractor
You’ll find hundreds of online DIY tips for pouring your own concrete driveway, stairs or porch, and an equal number of contractors promising quality work. Hiring a qualified contractor, however, is key to getting a long-lasting driveway installed or your existing driveway repaired.
The team at LHC Services has the experience and expertise to address the following issues:
- Grading – uniformity and stability. Starting with a solid, compacted soil base topped with tightly packed crushed material gives your driveway a stable foundation. This consistent depth means your driveway slabs will have an even thickness, will be level and less susceptible to shifting. The slope of your driveway is part of this initial step. A minimum slope of 1/8-inch per foot will eliminate standing water which can contribute to cracking or crumbling.
- Driveway cracking – causes and prevention. Concrete strength is directly related to the amount of water used during the pour. Thinner concrete mixes will shrink and crack. Mixes containing fly ash or water-reducing elements will provide a stronger concrete that can be poured without needing additional water.
- Control joints – role and placement. Concrete needs to have joints or gaps to allow the material to flex as temperatures change. Joint distance is determined by multiplying the depth of the concrete pour by a factor of two or three. If your driveway is 4-inches deep, for example, joints should be placed every 8 to 12 feet. Isolating joints are needed between the driveway and your garages, sidewalk or other existing pavement.
- Reinforcing – an option for heavily trafficked driveways. Wire mesh or steel rebar in a grid pattern can be placed before the concrete pour to add more strength to your driveway.
- Finishing – process and timing. Getting the right appearance for your driveway involves leveling the concrete to obtain a uniform surface, smoothing it at the right time, and applying a finish for additional traction.
- Curing – the final critical step. Immediately after finishing, concrete needs to be cured to develop strength and durability. If concrete dries too quickly, it will be weaker and more likely to crack. Curing means keeping an adequate amount of moisture on the driveway, either by leaving the forms in place, covering it, or applying a curing epoxy resin to the surface.
Why Choose Concrete for Your Driveway
If you’re considering replacing your existing driveway or building a new home and evaluating driveway material options, you have several choices. For the most budget conscious, gravel is usually the lowest cost material. Brick pavers are at the other end of the price range and are the most expensive to install. Asphalt is a mid-priced (and frequent) choice, but concrete has significant advantages.
- Durability. When installed correctly, a concrete driveway is made of a long-lasting material that will remain stable regardless of temperature fluctuations. Concrete typically cracks or breaks only when under tremendous pressure or surface movement.
- Design Versatility. Concrete stains and tints are available in an array of colors, and multiple stains can be used to create unique patterns in a driveway. Different designs can be stamped, etched or engraved into concrete to make it resemble brick, stone, tile, flagstone or even wood. Brushed finishes or exposed aggregate can be incorporated into your design for a one-of-a-kind driveway that complements your home’s architecture and landscaping.
- Minimal Maintenance. A concrete driveway requires minimal maintenance. Although sealing isn’t required, LCH Services does recommend washing and sealing your driveway annual to preserve its surface. Sealing can help repel staining, too.
LHC Services can integrate concrete walkways and stairs into your driveway design, creating a consistent look and style for your exterior surfaces. We also build concrete porches to fit the architectural design of your home.
We provide concrete installation in Midlothian, Chesterfield, Powhatan, and Richmond, Virginia. Contact the LHC Services team for more information about enhancing your home with a new driveway or restoring your existing driveway. We’ll talk with you about your needs, review your property and local building codes, then develop a plan to fit your style and your budget.
Lee and his crew did a great job with a tricky deck installation. Great price and passed all my HOA requirements. Lots of compliments from the neighbors. Will be calling him back for our fence needs!
We needed our garage stairs remodeled to give us more space in our garage so we contacted Lee Peck of LHC. He did a fantastic job. He was fast, efficient, and gave us a good price. He even was able to use some of the materials from our original stairs to save us money!
We were beyond impressed with LHC! I contacted 6 other contractors before deciding on them. The first thing that struck me was Lee Peck’s level of professionalism and knowledge. He and his crew were able to build a deck in a week. His prices were much lower than the competition, and the quality far exceeded…