Adding a deck to your home gives you a great outdoor space for entertaining, cooking out or relaxing. A wooden deck increases your property value, too. LHC Services has been building decks in the Richmond, Virginia area, including Midlothian, Chesterfield, and Powhatan for almost 20 years, and we’re proud of the creative, quality decks we’ve installed.
LHC Services is the best deck builder in Richmond Areas
What are the Key benefits of a deck for your home?
Well, at first, adding a deck will be a bit difficult because you’ll have to spend a decent amount of money. But there are plenty of advantages.
First of all, it just looks beautiful. If the deck is built properly, then it will beautify your backyard. Plus, it just extends your house and gives you more space. If you are having a birthday party or a bbq party, then you should build a deck.
Furthermore, a deck can increase property value. If you want to sell or buy a house, then you’ll understand what we are talking about. If a house has a deck, then it becomes a bit more expensive. If you want to sell a house with a beautiful deck, then you can get more money. So adding a deck is extremely beneficial.
Made primarily from recycled plastic, wood chips, or sawdust, composite deck material is the right choice for an almost maintenance-free deck.
- Cost is higher and colder to the touch than cedar, but composite decks don’t rot, twist, or splinter.
- You can stain composite, but the existing coloring is even and boards a free from defects.
- The only maintenance required is washing.
Getting the right deck built for our customers requires experience and expertise. We’re known for designing decks in a variety of styles for a range of budgets. Contact the LHC Services team today to talk about the deck that’s right for you!
It is the original; it is the classic and indeed it’s the most traditional material that is used to build decks. In fact, at one time when plastic material like polyethylene was not invented, wood was the most common material to build decks, houses, or furniture. Even in the modern era, wood is widely used because it has that aesthetic and natural vibe. Most homeowners love that aspect and that’s why they are prone to wood decks. So needless to say that it’s still the most popular material for building decks.
So what’s the reason behind its popularity and why most homeowners love wood decks so much?
Well, as we said, it’s natural and traditional. So somehow people have a connection with wood. A wood deck gives the homeowners the warmth and comfort they look for. It’s not rocket science by any means. People are bound to love wood decks.
But that is not the only reason why people love it. There are plenty of other reasons why homeowners go for the wood deck.
Firstly, let’s talk about durability. Now, the thing is that the durability of a wood deck depends on the quality of the wood. If the quality is decent, then it will last longer than the composite or vinyl decks. But that won’t be the case if the quality of the wood is not something to brag about. If you use something like Southern pine and Western fir, then the durability of your deck will be less. It won’t be terrible but you may want something better.
Maintaining it can be an issue. The wood is not water-resistant. It’s better to keep it nice and dry. Not to mention that you’ll have to clean it every day. Despite that, wood decks are extremely popular and more often than not people go for the wood deck. The last thing you need to keep in mind is that installing a wood deck is difficult compared to composite or vinyl decks. You’ll need efficient and skilled people to do the job.
Why choose LHC Services to build your deck?
In Richmond, there are many deck building companies. To be honest, some of them are quite good. They have some of the most efficient and skilled people who have years of experience in this industry. So why choose us? Why choose LHC Services? What can we offer? Well, let’s talk about it-
HOW LHC SERVICES DESIGNS DECKS
Your deck should meet your personal needs. LHC Services’ team will ask you several questions to ensure we deliver a deck that you enjoy and value.
• How will you use the deck? If you plan to entertain, we’ll find out whether you have large events or more intimate gatherings. Do you like to grill? We’ll explore adding an outdoor kitchen area. Maybe your family likes to garden or to cozy up to a fire on a chilly evening. All these interests will be considered in the design.
• How will you decorate your deck? We want to ensure you have enough space for your activities and plenty of room to navigate around your deck. We’ll ask you about the amount, size, type and placement of furniture you envision for the area.
• Are you willing and able to maintain your deck? Whether you pay a contractor for maintenance or prefer the DIY approach, a wooden deck requires annual pressure-washing and sealing. Lower maintenance materials like wood composites or PVC are available to keep your deck in excellent condition with less work.
• What deck size and shape appeal to you? Usually, a large deck will be around 20 percent of your home’s square footage, but we can create bigger spaces that don’t overwhelm your house. Curves and angles can be incorporated for unique visual appeal.
• Which views around your house are essential to include? We’ll review your property and discuss deck placement that will provide beautiful focal points from inside the house and from the deck. Planning can avoid sunset glares or encourage your guests to turn toward a great view.
• Are you interested in a deck that expands your home or is distinct from it? Some customers like their deck to be a natural extension of their house, while others want the deck to stand out as a separate space. If you want your deck to include access to your yard, we recommend a transitional stairway or walkway made of concrete as complementary material.
• Do you want any vertical components on your deck? Some deck designs are flat with no skirting railings or overhead rails, while others include multiple elements for visual impact. With raised decks, we recommend decorative skirting or, to make use of the space under the deck, the installation of a concrete patio.
• Do you want any shade on your deck? Richmond area weather is generally mild, but when July’s 90-degree days arrive, you may enjoy a little shade on your deck. We’ll discuss options such as a pergola, privacy screens, or vertical gardens and incorporate your choices into our design.
LHC Services- Tips for maintaining your deck
We will do everything to make sure that you have a sturdy and beautiful deck. Our installation process will make sure of that. But after building the deck, it is up to you to maintain it properly. With time, your deck will lose its glow, and eventually, you’ll need to replace it or fix some part of it. However, Proper maintenance will make sure that your deck lasts longer. We can give you some tips.
Let’s start with the most simple tip. In order to keep your deck beautiful, you need to clean it. It’s always better to clean the deck every day. You don’t have to use water and soap every day. Just use a vacuum cleaner or a brush to get rid of all the dust. It’s probably the most basic maintenance tip and it always works.
You can use a pressure washer to clean the deck. It’s a labor-saving tool and using it will save you a lot of time. So we don’t want to discourage you from using it. But in unsteady hands, it will be a problem. Don’t get the nozzle too close to the surface because that may damage the wood. So you need to make sure that you don’t go overboard with your high-powered washer. That’s the bottom line.
Never ever clean your deck with chlorine bleach. If you do use chlorine bleach to clean the deck, it will strip the wood of its natural color. Furthermore, it may also harm its cellular structure. Oxygen bleach is a better option, but it’s still harmful to redwood. Use water instead of these products and your deck should do okay.
Finally, the best important thing you can do is to inspect the deck carefully every day. The rain, snow, or sun cannot affect the inside part of your house. However, the uncovered deck has to endure everything. So it’s obvious that you inspect the deck regularly.Make sure to examine whether there are soft or loose nails splintered spots, and rotten planks. Try to fix these issues. Take help from professionals if needed.
These are some of the things you can do to make sure that your deck lasts longer and stays beautiful. To be honest, it’s not that difficult. All you have to do is to clean the deck and inspect the deck properly and regularly.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
Lee and his crew did a great job with a tricky deck installation. Great price and passed all my HOA requirements. Lots of compliments from the neighbors. Will be calling him back for our fence needs!
We needed our garage stairs remodeled to give us more space in our garage so we contacted Lee Peck of LHC. He did a fantastic job. He was fast, efficient, and gave us a good price. He even was able to use some of the materials from our original stairs to save us money!
We were beyond impressed with LHC! I contacted 6 other contractors before deciding on them. The first thing that struck me was Lee Peck’s level of professionalism and knowledge. He and his crew were able to build a deck in a week. His prices were much lower than the competition, and the quality far exceeded…